Princeton University Press offers unpaid internships in several areas of publishing. These internships can qualify for course credit - please check with your course advisor. Internships are for one semester and require you to be present an average of 15 hours per week.
Graphic Design Internship
Job Title: Graphic Design Intern
Reports To: Art Director
The Graphic Design Intern works closely with more senior staff to learn the basics of book design while assisting the department.
- Performs photo research for book jackets
- Learns to convert jacket files from jacket format to paperback format.
- Learns to prepare printer-ready jacket mechanicals.
- Prepares generic covers for e-book program as necessary.
- Depending on level of experience and skill set, may design some original book jackets.
- Develops business communication skills in order to navigate successfully within a professional environment.
- Learns about the process of creating a book from beginning to end.
- Sizes, crops, and manipulates images for book interiors.
- Assists graphic designers as requested.
- Completes all other duties as assigned or requested for the general support of the organization.
The Graphic Design Intern reports to the Art Director. There are typically no direct reports to this position.
Challenges and Opportunities
The Graphic Design Intern must have a strong typographic sense, good conceptual design skills, and an avid interest in book design. He/she must be organized and able to communicate both visually and in writing. In addition, he or she must be a quick learner with a positive attitude.
- Education -- an undergraduate major in graphic design or a closely-related field is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite on a Mac platform is required.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multitask and to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly.
- An ongoing curiosity about trends in book design and in graphic design generally.
- Ability to work well both independently and with others; ability to synthesize feedback.
This is a typical office-type environment with heavy computer useage.
Please submit your resume to email@example.com