A photographic guide to habitats, this lavishly illustrated book provides a comprehensive overview of the natural history and conservation landscape of Britain and Ireland. In essence a field guide, the book leads the reader through all the main habitat types, with information on their characteristics, extent, geographical variation, key species, cultural importance, origins and conservation. It aims to help visitors to the countryside recognize the habitats around them, understand how they have evolved and what makes them special, and imagine how they might change in the future.
This book is the perfect companion for anyone travelling in Britain and Ireland, and essential reading for all wildlife enthusiasts, professional ecologists and landscape architects.
- Individual sections on all the main habitat types found in Britain and Ireland
- More than 680 evocative colour photographs, including images from around Britain and Ireland in all seasons
- Details and photographs of key species and features associated with the different habitats
- Up-to-date information—including maps—on the distribution, extent and importance of all habitat types
- Information on key nature conservation designations and different systems of habitat classification
Sophie Lake and Durwyn Liley are professional ecologists who work at Footprint Ecology and live near the Purbeck Heaths and Poole Harbour in Dorset. They have worked in nature conservation, for a range of different organizations, for more than twenty years. This book is the result of their shared passion for natural history, ecology and the wild places in which they have lived, travelled and worked. Robert Still, the cofounder of WILDGuides, is an ecologist and graphic artist, and has designed more than thirty of its titles. Andy Swash, the managing director of WILDGuides, is an ecologist and wildlife photographer. Still and Swash are the coauthors of a number of books, including Britain's Dragonflies, Britain's Butterflies, Britain's Day-flying Moths and Britain's Sea Mammals (all WILDGuides).
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Robert Still:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Andy Swash: