BirdGenie™ is a remarkable app that enables anyone with a supported Apple® or Android® smartphone or tablet to identify birds in the backyard, at the local park, or on the nature trail--all with the tap of a button! It's like Shazam® for nature--just hold up your phone, record the bird singing, and BirdGenie tells you what bird it is!
Each regional app contains eighty vocalization types for sixty bird species, covering almost all of the birds you are likely to encounter. When you hear a singing bird and make a clear recording with your smartphone or tablet, BirdGenie identifies the bird if it is an included species, tells you exactly how confident it is that the identification is correct, and provides audio samples of the bird's various songs to compare with your own recording, as well as color photos, useful information, and links to further reading. You can attach comments, photos, and other info to your recordings, track your history with a convenient log, and easily share everything with friends and other users. Even better, no internet connection is needed, making BirdGenie accessible everywhere you go.
An incredibly enjoyable app for anyone who wants to know what bird they're listening to, and a perfect tool for teaching and learning, BirdGenie takes bird identification to a whole new awesome level.
With BirdGenie you can:
- Quickly identify most birds by recording their songs
- Look at vivid images of the bird--some in 3-D!
- Listen to samples of the bird's various songs and compare them with your recording
- Keep a log of all your recordings
- Attach comments, photos, and other info to share with friends and other users on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
- Find out useful details about the bird, such as what to feed it
- Read further about the bird species on the Web through BirdGenie's recommended links
- Browse the regional built-in catalog for sixty species to learn even more and hear other songs
- Use the app anywhere--no internet connection required!
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3/4/5, iPad, iPad Mini, and iPod Touch.
- Requires Android 4.0 and above. Compatible with most common Android phones and tablets.
Shazam® is the registered trademark of Shazam Entertainment Limited and is not affiliated with Princeton University Press in any way.
BirdGenie™ is a trademark of Princeton University Press.
Tom Stephenson's articles and photos have appeared in Birding and Bird Watcher's Digest, at Surfbirds.com, and in the Handbook of the Birds of the World. He has guided groups across the United States and Asia. A musician, he has had several Grammy and Academy Award winners as clients, and was director of technology at Roland Corporation. Stephen Travis Pope is an award-winning composer, performer, and software engineer developing novel digital-audio processing applications. He has worked on audio analysis programs and music search engines for over a decade. In 2007, the Electronic Music Foundation released a triple-disc anthology of his music and videos called Ritual and Memory. His most recent work is the feature-length music film Secrets, Dreams, Faith and Wonder.
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by Tom Stephenson:
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by Princeton University Press: