These selected mathematical writings cover the years when the foundations were laid for the theory of numbers, analytic geometry, and the calculus.
Originally published in 1986.
The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand technology to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback and hardcover editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
Table of Contents:
- FrontMatter, pg. i
- ERRATA ET ADDENDA, pg. vii
- PREFACE, pg. ix
- CONTENTS, pg. xi
- ABBREVIATIONS OF TITLES, pg. xiv
- CHAPTER I ARITHMETIC, pg. 1
- CHAPTER II. ALGEBRA, pg. 55
- CHAPTER III. GEOMETRY, pg. 133
- CHAPTER IV. ANALYSIS BEFORE NEWTON AND LEIBNIZ, pg. 188
- CHAPTER V. NEWTON, LEIBNIZ, AND THEIR SCHOOL, pg. 270
- INDEX, pg. 421