Kinematical problems of both classical and quantum mechanics are considered in these lecture notes ranging from differential calculus to the application of one of Chernoff's theorems.
Originally published in 1970.
The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand technology to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback and hardcover editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
Table of Contents:
- Frontmatter, pg. i
- Contents, pg. iii
- 1. Differential Calculus, pg. 1
- 2. Picard's Method, pg. 13
- 3. The Local Structure of Vector Fields, pg. 29
- 4. Sums and Lie Products of Vector Fields, pg. 56
- 5. Self-adjoint operators on Hilbert space, pg. 60
- 6. Commutative multiplicity theory, pg. 77
- 7. Extensions of Hermitean operators, pg. 99
- 8. Sums and Lie products of self-adjoint operators, pg. 103
- Notes and references, pg. 112
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Edward Nelson: