Franco Venturi, premier European interpreter of the Enlightenment, is still completing his acclaimed multi-volume work, a grand synthesis of Western history before the French Revolution as seen through the perceptive eyes of Italian observers.
Originally published in 1991.
The Princeton Legacy Library uses the latest print-on-demand technology to again make available previously out-of-print books from the distinguished backlist of Princeton University Press. These editions preserve the original texts of these important books while presenting them in durable paperback and hardcover editions. The goal of the Princeton Legacy Library is to vastly increase access to the rich scholarly heritage found in the thousands of books published by Princeton University Press since its founding in 1905.
Table of Contents:
- FrontMatter, pg. i
- Contents, pg. v
- VI. “Ubi Libertas, Ibi Patria”: The Genevan Revolution of 1782, pg. 459
- VII. The Revolution of the United Provinces, pg. 497
- VIII. The “Grand Project” of Joseph II: The Revolts of Transylvania, Belgium, and Hungary, pg. 605
- IX. Despotism, Reforms, and Liberty in Russia, Turkey, Sweden, and Poland, pg. 764
- X. Toward the Revolution in France, pg. 948
- Index, pg. 1017
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by R. Burr Litchfield:
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by Franco Venturi: