Those looking for a concise yet informative, visually breathtaking yet affordable East African safari need look no further than this spectacular field guide. Featuring full-color photos of 475 common species of bird, mammal, snake, lizard, insect, tree, and flower, Wildlife of East Africa takes us on an exquisite one-volume tour through the living splendor of the main national parks and game reserves of Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. Many of the species included--from pelicans to plovers, ostriches to elephants, from the daintiest of antelopes to cattlelike giants, from leopards to lions, baboons to gorillas, chameleons to crocodiles, acacias to aloes--also inhabit neighboring countries. The selection was based on the personal experiences of the authors, wildlife experts who have been leading safaris in the region for more than twenty years.
Each species is illustrated with a photo and a detailed entry on the facing page; the text is commendably rich for such a compact guide. This information enables the particular animal or plant to be identified by such traits as size, plumage or pelage, color, and shape. An opening section on wildlife photography provides helpful tips on the best type of camera, film, and lenses to use, techniques, and codes of conduct. Wildlife of East Africa is a must for anyone considering a first-hand look at, or simply daydreaming of, the elegant, enormous, or exotic wildlife of East Africa.
- Covers the main parks and reserves of Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, plus surrounding countries
- 475 common species of bird, mammal, snake, lizard, insect, tree, and flower--from ostriches to elephants, leopards to lions, baboons to gorillas, chameleons to crocodiles, acacias to aloes
- Full-color photographs and detailed entries describing each species
- Written and illustrated by wildlife experts who have been leading safaris in East Africa for more than 20 years
- Tips on wildlife photography, techniques, and codes of conduct
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by Martin B. Withers:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by David Hosking:
Paperback: For sale only in the United States, its Dependencies, and the Philippines