This revised and updated edition of the Chinese Primer--an introductory textbook in wide use for more than a decade--uses proven techniques to put beginning learners of Mandarin Chinese on the path toward true mastery. The goal of the book is internalization--to lead students to adopt Chinese as one of their own languages and not to regard it merely as an object of study and translation.
- Use of hànyu pinyin romanization
- Rigorous foundation work in pronunciation, including tones and the other special phonemes that are crucial to mastery
- Lesson texts that combine authentic, natural Chinese expression with lively everyday topics that allow students to immediately begin using Chinese themselves
- Carefully designed incremental introduction of grammar, accompanied by thorough and precise notes
- Completely revised notes that link Chinese language to Chinese culture-such as names, modes of address, and conventions of politeness
- Additional lessons for self-study during the summer following a first-year course
- A completely revised character workbook that introduces both traditional and simplified characters and that simulates the way native speakers learn characters as children: in small doses that eventually "catch up" with speaking ability
Like its earlier edition, The Chinese Primer: Revised Edition is composed of three integrated volumes: (1) the Blue Book [Lessons]: introduction; foundation work on pronunciation; lesson dialogues in romanized Chinese and English; appendices; glossary-index; (2) the Red Book [Notes and Exercises]: vocabularies; grammar notes and culture notes keyed to the lessons; exercises; and (3) the Yellow Book [Character Workbook]. (There is also a fourth volume, the Green Book [Pinyin Character Text], which is sold separately.) Texts of the lessons are in both traditional and simplified Chinese characters, and there is a Chinese introduction for teachers.
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Perry Link:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Yih-jian Tai:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Ta-tuan Ch'en:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Hai-tao Tang: