Popular, award-winning, and unrivaled for its coverage and beauty, this is a magnificent illustrated guide to nearly 2,000 tree species and cultivars found in North America and Europe. David More spent over a decade painting these illustrations from real specimens, and fellow tree expert John White's informative text describes key facts about each. The result is an extraordinary reference that will continue to be prized by nature enthusiasts, gardeners, landscapers, and foresters.
- Illustrates nearly 2,000 tree species and cultivars found in North America and Europe
- Includes precise paintings of important details: leaves, needles, bark, blossoms, fruits, nuts, and cones
- Shows deciduous trees in both full leaf and winter
- Describes the native range of each species, the date of its introduction into cultivation, and other key facts
- Features an introduction, a glossary, and indexes of scientific and English names
David More is a trained artist who has always had a passionate interest in trees. He spent countless hours over many years in London's Kew Gardens and other great tree collections, drawing and gathering material for this book. John White is a former research dendrologist at the UK's Forestry Commission, where he worked for more than three decades before his retirement. He is the author of Forest and Woodland Trees in Britain.
"The very best book I can imagine for identifying trees."--Seattle Times
"Extraordinary. . . . [U]nmatched by anything on the market today."--Fine Gardening
"The beautiful illustrations and informative text make it a perfect source."--Booklist
"The power of the book is the beauty and accuracy of its illustrations."--Choice
"Because of the meticulous detail, all tree lovers will find this a necessary encyclopedic book."--National Gardener
Cloth: For sale only in North America and the Philippines