- Sale Price:
- May 14, 2024
- 75 b/w illus.
30% off with code PUP30
This book explores the exciting interface between the fields of cosmology, high-energy astrophysics, and particle physics, at a level suitable for advanced undergraduate to graduate level students as well as active researchers. Without assuming a strong background in particle physics or quantum field theory, the text is designed to be accessible to readers from a range of backgrounds and presents both fundamentals and modern topics in a modular style that allows for flexible use and easy reference. It offers coverage of general relativity and the Friedmann equations, early universe thermodynamics, recombination and the cosmic microwave background, Big Bang nucleosynthesis, the origin and detection of dark matter, the formation of large-scale structure, baryogenesis and leptogenesis, inflation, dark energy, cosmic rays, neutrino and gamma-ray astrophysics, supersymmetry, Grand Unified Theories, sterile neutrinos, and axions. The book also provides numerous worked examples and homework problems, many with solutions. Particle Cosmology and Astrophysics provides readers with an invaluable entrée to this cross-disciplinary area of research and discovery.
• Accessible to advanced undergraduate to graduate students, as well as researchers in cosmology, high-energy astrophysics, and particle physics
• Does not assume a strong background in particle physics or quantum field theory, and contains two chapters specifically for readers with no background in particle physics.
• Broad scope, covering many topics across particle physics, astrophysics, and particle-cosmology
• Modular presentation, for easy reference and flexible use
• Provides more than 200 homework problems, many with solutions
• Ideal for course use or self-study and reference