The ultimate must-have guide for identifying migrant raptors, Hawks at a Distance is the first volume to focus on distant raptors as they are truly seen in the field. Jerry Liguori, a leading expert on North American raptors, factors in new information and approaches for identifying twenty-nine species of raptor in various lighting situations and settings. The field guide’s nineteen full-color portraits, 558 color photos, and 896 black-and-white images portray shapes and plumages for each species from all angles. Useful flight identification criteria are provided and the accompanying text discusses all aspects of in-flight hawk identification, including flight style and behavior. Concentrating on features that are genuinely observable at a distance, this concise and practical field guide is ideal for any aspiring or experienced hawk enthusiast.
- The first guide to focus on distant raptors as they are viewed in the field
- New information and approaches for identifying distant raptors
- Illustrates twenty-nine species in various lighting situations and settings
- 558 color photos and 896 black-and-white images depicting plumage and shape characteristics
- All aspects of in-flight hawk identification, including flight style and behavior