Birds of Eastern Africa
Written and illustrated by Ber van Perlo
This is a fully updated edition of the only pocket guide that illustrates and describes all 1,487 bird species of eastern Africa, an area that includes Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, and Yemen's Socotra Island. This huge region's rich birdlife includes some of the most colorful species anywhere on earth--including ostriches, albatrosses, boobies, lovebirds, parrots, parakeets, kingfishers, and bee-eaters. The 96 color plates group similar species and subspecies, and the text directly opposite the plates describes each bird's habitat and key physical, behavioral, and vocal characteristics. Distribution maps show the range and frequency of each species. This is an indispensable guide for any birder who wants to explore eastern Africa's wealth of birds.
- Fully updated text
- The only field guide to illustrate every bird species of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, and Yemen's Socotra Island
- 1,487 species illustrated on 96 color plates
- Ostriches, albatrosses, boobies, lovebirds, parrots, parakeets, kingfishers, bee-eaters, and many more
- Informative notes directly opposite the illustrations succinctly describe each bird's habitat and key physical, behavioral, and vocal characteristics
- Female or juvenile shown for many species in addition to adult male
- Subspecies and color variants included
- Shaded maps showing range and frequency of each species
First published in 2009.Ber van Perlo has been traveling and living in Africa since 1981. He is the award-winning author and illustrator of Birds of Southern Africa, Birds of Western and Central Africa, and Birds of Mexico and Central America (all Princeton).