C. P. Cavafy (1863-1933) lived in relative obscurity in Alexandria, and a collected edition of his poems was not published until after his death. Now, however, he is regarded as the most important figure in twentieth-century Greek poetry, and his poems are considered among the most powerful in modern European literature.
This revised bilingual edition of Collected Poems offers the reader the original Greek texts facing what are now recognized as the standard English translations of Cavafy's poetry. It is this translation that best captures the poet's mixture of formal and idiomatic language and that preserves the immediacy of his increasingly frank treatment of homosexual eroticism, his brilliant re-creation of history, and his astute political ironies. This new bilingual edition also features the notes of editor George Savidis and a new foreword by Robert Pinsky.
"At least as far as Cavafy's 'canon' of 154 sanctioned poems is concerned, it seems likely that the long-established version by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard . . . will continue, deservedly, to hold the field."--Peter Green, New Republic
Table of Contents
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Edmund Keeley:
- Cavafy's Alexandria. [Paperback]
- George Seferis: Collected Poems. [Paperback]
- George Seferis: Collected Poems, 1924-1955. Bilingual Edition. [Hardcover and Paperback]
- Modern Greek Writers: Solomos, Calvos, Matesis, Palamas, Cavafy, Kazantzakis, Seferis, Elytis. [Hardcover and Paperback]
- Voices of Modern Greece: Selected Poems by C.P. Cavafy, Angelos Sikelianos, George Seferis, Odysseus Elytis, Nikos Gatsos. [Paperback]
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Philip Sherrard:
Another Princeton book authored or coauthored by George Savidis:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by C. P. Cavafy:
Other Princeton books authored or coauthored by Robert Pinsky:
Paperback: Not for sale in the Commonwealth