- $49.95 / £42.00
- 7.5 x 9.25 in.
- 384 color photographs. 32 line illus. 6 tables. 263 maps.
This is the first guide to dragonflies and damselflies of the south-central United States. The book covers 263 species, representing more than half of the North American fauna. The area of coverage significantly overlaps with other regions of the country making this book a useful aid in identifying the dragonflies and damselflies in any part of the United States, Canada, or northeastern Mexico.
More photographs of damselflies in North America appear here than in any other previously published work. All 85 damselfly and 178 dragonfly species found in the region are distinguished by photographs, numerous line drawings, keys, and detailed descriptions to help with identifications. Features include:
- Discussions of habitats, zoogeography, and seasonality
- Details on dragonfly and damselfly life history and conservation
- An introduction on studying and photographing dragonflies and damselflies
- An entire section devoted to the external anatomy of dragonflies and damselflies
- Species accounts organized by family into sections on size, regional and general distribution, flight season, identification, similar species, habitat and biology and ecology
- Range maps for each species, as well as an extensive bibliography and a list of resources for further study