Founded in 1905 by Princeton alumnus Whitney Darrow, Princeton University Press had its start as Princeton Alumni Press, a small printing operation serving the University, publishing the Princeton Alumni Weekly in a rented office above a drugstore on Nassau Street in Princeton, New Jersey. With the financial support of another Princetonian, Charles Scribner II of the New York publisher Charles Scribner’s Sons, the Press was reincorporated as a nonprofit in 1910 and gradually developed into a full-fledged book publisher.
Renamed Princeton University Press in 1911, the Press moved into its current headquarters, a purpose-built gothic-style building designed by Ernest Flagg. The design of the building, which was named the Scribner Building in 1965, was inspired by the Plantin-Moretus Museum, a printing museum in Antwerp, Belgium. The museum is also the namesake of the Plantin typeface, released in 1913, based on sixteenth-century type specimens in the museum’s collection. Plantin is the chosen typeface for the Princeton University Press website.
Princeton University Press established a European office, in Woodstock, England, north of Oxford, in 1999, and opened an additional office, in Beijing, in August 2017.