- $29.95 / £25.00
- Apr 3, 2018
- 5.25 x 7.5 in.
- 387 color illus., 122 maps
This is a fully up-to-date and comprehensive photographic field guide to the snakes of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. Lavishly illustrated with 387 color photographs, it includes coverage of all 122 snake species found in these regions.
The guide’s detailed introduction discusses snake anatomy, biology, habitats and taxonomy. It also explores the health of snakes in captivity and conservation measures, and provides a succinct explanation of the chemical composition, physical effects and cultural uses of snake venom. Species accounts are arranged taxonomically and provide identification features, a description of the species’ habitat and behavior and information about whether a snake is venomous. Abundant distribution maps describe each species’ geographic variation and usual habitats. Clear photos aid identification and are supplemented with illustrations highlighting key anatomical features. A table of all species, country by country, is included at the back of the book.
The first dedicated field guide on snakes to appear in many years, Snakes of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East will be indispensable for anyone interested in learning more about these unique reptiles.
- Highlights all 122 snake species found in the region
- Features 387 excellent photos supplemented with diagrams
- Reflects most recent classification and scientific research
- Provides each species’ identification details, habitat, behavior and much more
- Includes distribution maps for all species