A Field Guide to the Mammals of Britain and Ireland
Dominic Couzens, Andy Swash, Robert Still, & Jon Dunn
Britain's Mammals is a comprehensive and beautifully designed photographic field guide to all the mammals recorded in the wild in Britain and Ireland in recent times—including marine mammals, bats and introduced species that have bred. The book features hundreds of stunning photographs and incorporates invaluable tips and suggestions to help you track down and identify even the most difficult species.
This easy-to-use book provides an introduction to the different types of mammal. Concise species accounts focus on identification and include up-to-date information on sounds, habitat, food, habits, breeding behaviour and population and status, as well as descriptions of key field signs—including tracks, droppings and nests—that give away the presence of mammals even when they are out of sight. In addition, guidance is provided on ways of studying and observing mammals—including small-mammal trapping, bat detecting and whale watching—as well as mammal conservation, legislation and further sources of useful information. Handy and informative, this guide is the ideal companion for anyone interested in watching mammals in Britain and Ireland.
- Comprehensive coverage of every mammal recorded in Britain and Ireland
- 500 superb colour photographs carefully selected to show key identification features
- Up-to-date distribution maps
- Detailed illustrations of tracks, dentition and other identification features
- Helpful tips for identifying tracks and other signs you may find in the field
- Latest information on status, population, distribution and conservation designations
- Advice on finding and watching mammals
Dominic Couzens is one of Britain's best-known wildlife writers. His work appears in numerous magazines, including BBC Wildlife and BBC Countryfile, and his books include Secret Lives of Garden Wildlife. Andy Swash is an ecologist, a wildlife photographer and the managing director of WILDGuides. Robert Still, the cofounder of WILDGuides, is an ecologist and graphic artist and has designed more than thirty of its titles. Jon Dunn lives in Shetland, UK, working there and abroad as a wildlife tour guide and writer. His books include Britain's Sea Mammals (WILDGuides).