APP | 2014 | ISBN: 9781400848768
Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World for iPad (APP)
Edited by Richard J.A. Talbert
Hailed by the New York Times as "the best geography of the ancient world ever achieved" and deemed by classicist Bernard Knox to be "an indispensable tool for historians concerned with ancient times" as well as "a source of great pleasure for the amateur," the unsurpassed Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World is now available in digital form as a full-featured app for the iPad. Including all the content of the $395 print edition of the Barrington Atlas, the app makes this essential reference work more portable and affordable than ever before possible.
In 102 interactive color maps, this app re-creates the entire world of the Greeks and Romans from the British Isles to the Indian subcontinent and deep into North Africa. Unrivaled for range, clarity, and detail, these custom-designed maps return the modern landscape to its ancient appearance, marking ancient names and features in accordance with modern scholarship and archaeological discoveries. Geographically, the maps span the territory of more than seventy-five modern countries. Chronologically, they extend from archaic Greece to the Late Roman Empire.
A must-have for scholars, this app will also appeal to anyone eager to retrace Alexander’s eastward marches, cross the Alps with Hannibal, traverse the Eastern Mediterranean with Saint Paul, or ponder the roads, aqueducts, and defense works of the Roman Empire. Designed exclusively for the iPad, the app uses the latest technology and is available for iPad 2 and above.
To learn more about the app, please go to: http://press.princeton.edu/apps/barrington-atlas
- Carry all the content of the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World on your iPad
- Explore and study on the go with interactive color maps and full-screen HD map images--all optimized for Retina Display
- Navigate maps with a finger swipe or tap
- Pinch-zoom up to 800 percent to see all detail
- Find more than 20,000 locations through an interactive gazetteer
- Bookmark locations for quick and easy access
- See all maps in proper orientation in both portrait and landscape modes through automatic "True North" rotation
- Look at maps in the same order as the book and move seamlessly between connected map plates without flipping pages
- View ancient borders or overlay modern borders for reference
- Examine maps in detail with an interactive map key
- Access maps through multiple, intuitive pathways provided by an easy-to-use interface
- Store all data locally on your iPad--no Wi-Fi or network connection necessary
- App title: Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World for iPad
- Seller: Princeton University Press
- Price: $19.95
- Release date: November 2013
- Size: 350 MB
- Rating: Rated 4+
- Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad 2 and above.
- Updated for iOS 11: Eliminates Gazetteer caching issues* with older iPads.
*For any issues with the stability of the Gazetteer, please make sure that you are running the latest version of iOS and have downloaded the most up-to-date version of the Atlas app.