Stars and Planets
The Most Complete Guide to the Stars, Planets, Galaxies, and Solar System - Updated and Expanded Edition
Ian Ridpath & Wil Tirion
The indispensable guide to the night sky—now in a newly updated and expanded edition
In this newly updated and expanded edition of their classic work, Ian Ridpath and Wil Tirion illuminate the night sky as never before, providing novice stargazers and professional astronomers alike with the most informative, user-friendly, comprehensive, and authoritative celestial field guide available. The product of a thirty-year collaboration between one of the world’s leading astronomy writers and the world’s foremost celestial mapmaker, Stars and Planets features superb color sky charts, diagrams, or photographs on almost every page; clear and engaging writing; a spacious and attractive design; and a compact size. This updated edition features the latest information on stars, a revised section on planets that incorporates recent research on exoplanets, and some revised charts and new photographs. Simply put, Stars and Planets is indispensable. Don’t leave home—at night—without it.
- Detailed charts covering all 88 constellations in the Northern and Southern hemispheres
- Data and notes on all bright stars and other objects of interest
- Detailed Moon maps and descriptions of the main lunar features
- Tips on choosing and using binoculars and telescopes, to suit any budget
- The only guide to provide annual planetary data as a downloadable online resource
- Updates include the latest data on stars and exoplanets and some revised charts and new photos
Ian Ridpath is the author or editor of many books, including the Oxford Dictionary of Astronomy and Norton’s Star Atlas. Wil Tirion is the world’s leading celestial mapmaker and the illustrator of many books, including The Cambridge Star Atlas.