Carnivores of the World
Illustrated by Priscilla Barrett
An acclaimed illustrated guide to the world’s carnivores—now in an expanded and thoroughly updated new edition
This is an expanded and fully revised new edition of a highly acclaimed guide to the world’s carnivores—some of the most spectacular and feared creatures in nature. Covering all 250 species of terrestrial, true carnivores, from the majestic polar bear and predatory wild cats to the tiny least weasel, Luke Hunter’s comprehensive, up-to-date, and user-friendly guide features 93 color plates by acclaimed wildlife artist Priscilla Barrett that depict every species and numerous subspecies, as well as more than 400 drawings of skulls and footprints. Features new to this edition include revised and expanded species coverage, a distribution map for every species, 25 new behavioral illustrations, and much more. Detailed species accounts describe key identification features, distribution and habitat, feeding ecology, behavior, social patterns, reproduction and demography, status, threats, lifespan, and mortality. An introduction includes a concise overview of taxonomy, conservation, and the distinct families of Carnivora.
- Covers all 250 terrestrial carnivore species
- Includes 93 color plates by acclaimed wildlife artist Priscilla Barrett
- Packed with new features, including:
- Fully updated coverage, including new accounts of 9 recently delineated species
- 7 new color plates illustrating the new species and additional forms of existing species
- 185 distribution maps
- 25 new behavioral illustrations
- 16 new pages and larger format
- A double-page spread on canid hybrids
- The latest data on population trends and endangered status
Luke Hunter is one of the world’s leading authorities on wild carnivores. His books include Wild Cats of the World and Cheetah. He lives in New York City.