Sharks of the World
Leonard Compagno, Marc Dando, & Sarah Fowler
Everyone's heard of the Great Whites. But most people know little of the hundreds of other types of sharks that inhabit the world's oceans. Written by two of the world's leading authorities and superbly illustrated by wildlife artist Marc Dando, this is the first comprehensive field guide to all 440-plus shark species. Color plates illustrate all species, and detailed accounts include diagnostic line drawings and a distribution map for each species. Introductory chapters treat physiology, behavior, reproduction, ecology, diet, and sharks' interrelationships with humans.
- More than 125 original full-color illustrations for fast and accurate identification of each shark family
- Over 500 additional drawings illustrating physical features from different angles
- Clear identification information for each species with details of size, habitat, behavior, and biology
- Quick ID guide helpful for differentiating similar species
- Geographic distribution maps for each species
- For professional and amateur shark enthusiasts
Leonard Compagno is an international authority on shark taxonomy and the author of many scientific papers and books on the subject. He currently works in the South African Museum's Shark Research Centre. Marc Dando is a freelance artist specializing in marine ecology and wildlife. Sarah Fowler works in marine ecology, biodiversity, and conservation and management, with a particular focus on sharks. She cofounded the UK Shark Trust and the European Elasmobranch Association. She also serves on the Conservation Committee of the American Elasmobranch Society (based at the University of Florida).