- Sale Price:
- Aug 5, 2011
- 300 color illus.
30% off with code PUP30
- For sale only in the United States, US Dependencies, and Canada
- Download Cover
Birds are the most consistently inventive builders, and their nests set the bar for functional design in nature. Avian Architecture describes how birds design, engineer, and build their nests, deconstructing all types of nests found around the world using architectural blueprints and detailed descriptions of the construction processes and engineering techniques birds use. This spectacularly illustrated book features 300 full-color images and more than 35 case studies that profile key species worldwide. Each chapter covers a different type of nest, from tunnel nests and mound nests to floating nests, hanging nests, woven nests, and even multiple-nest avian cities. Other kinds of avian construction—such as bowers and harvest wells—are also featured.
Avian Architecture includes intricate step-by-step sequences, visual spreads on nest-building materials and methods, and insightful commentary by a leading expert.
- Illustrates how birds around the world design, engineer, and build their nests
- Features architectural blueprints, step-by-step sequences, visual spreads on nest-building materials and methods, and expert commentary
- Includes 300 full-color images
- Covers more than 100 bird species worldwide
Awards and Recognition
- Winner of the 2011 PROSE Award in Popular Science & Popular Mathematics, Association of American Publishers