- Jul 7, 2013
- 6 x 8.5 in.
- 1,000+ color illus. 50 maps.
Warblers are among the most challenging birds to identify. They exhibit an array of seasonal plumages and have distinctive yet oft-confused calls and songs. The Warbler Guide enables you to quickly identify any of the 56 species of warblers in the United States and Canada. This groundbreaking guide features more than 1,000 stunning color photos, extensive species accounts with multiple viewing angles, and an entirely new system of vocalization analysis that helps you distinguish songs and calls.
The Warbler Guide revolutionizes birdwatching, making warbler identification easier than ever before. For more information, please see the author videos on the Princeton University Press website.
- Covers all 56 species of warblers in the United States and Canada
- Visual quick finders help you identify warblers from any angle
- Song and call finders make identification easy using a few simple questions
- Uses sonograms to teach a new system of song identification that makes it easier to understand and hear differences between similar species
- Detailed species accounts show multiple views with diagnostic points, direct comparisons of plumage and vocalizations with similar species, and complete aging and sexing descriptions
- New aids to identification include song mnemonics and icons for undertail pattern, color impression, habitat, and behavior
- Includes field exercises, flight shots, general identification strategies, and quizzes
- A complete, page-by-page audio companion to all of the 1,000-plus songs and calls covered by the book is available for purchase and download from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s Macaulay Library by using the link at www.TheWarblerGuide.com
Awards and Recognition
- Winner of a 2014 National Outdoor Book Award in Nature Guidebooks
- Second Place for the 2013 BB/BTO Best Bird Book of the Year, British Birds and the British Trust for Ornithology
- Honorable Mention for the 2013 PROSE Award in Single Volume Reference/Science, Association of American Publishers