Intermediate Reader of Modern Chinese is an ideal textbook for American students who have already completed two semesters of Chinese. Featuring a wealth of contemporary subject matter that will provoke lively and engaging classroom discussions, it progresses from correspondence and dialogue to short essays, encouraging speaking as well as reading practice. Topics include college life in the United States, political and social issues in contemporary China, biographies of well-known figures in Chinese intellectual history, and analyses of the Chinese Democracy Movement and the Tiananmen Square incident. This volume of Intermediate Reader of Modern Chinese covers vocabulary and sentence patterns, and includes exercises for each lesson. The companion volume contains the text.
- Suitable for a two-semester course
- Juxtaposes traditional and simplified characters
- Covers Chinese translations of foreign place names
- Accustoms students to reading Chinese newspapers
- Audio materials are available for use with this textbook. For further information, contact the Chinese Linguistics Project at email@example.com