Click to enlarge
The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs
Gregory S. Paul
The best-selling Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs remains the must-have book for anyone who loves dinosaurs, from amateur enthusiasts to professional paleontologists. Now extensively revised and expanded, this dazzlingly illustrated large-format edition features some 100 new dinosaur species and 200 new and updated illustrations, bringing readers up to the minute on the latest discoveries and research that are radically transforming what we know about dinosaurs and their world.
Written and illustrated by acclaimed dinosaur expert Gregory Paul, this stunningly beautiful book includes detailed species accounts of all the major dinosaur groups as well as nearly 700 color and black-and-white images—skeletal drawings, "life" studies, scenic views, and other illustrations that depict the full range of dinosaurs, from small feathered creatures to whale-sized supersauropods. Paul's extensively revised introduction delves into dinosaur history and biology, the extinction of nonavian dinosaurs, the origin of birds, and the history of dinosaur paleontology, as well as giving a taste of what it might be like to travel back in time to the era when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
- Now extensively revised and expanded
- Covers nearly 750 dinosaur species, including scores of newly discovered ones
- Provides startling new perspectives on the famed Brontosaurus and Tyrannosaurus
- Features nearly 700 color and black-and-white drawings and figures, including life studies, scenic views, and skull and muscle drawings
- Includes color paleo-distribution maps and a color time line
- Describes anatomy, physiology, locomotion, reproduction, and growth of dinosaurs, as well as the origin of birds and the extinction of nonavian dinosaurs
Gregory S. Paul is a leading dinosaur illustrator and researcher who helped establish the "new look" of the Mesozoic creatures seen in contemporary documentaries and movies, including Jurassic Park, for which he served as a consultant. His books include Predatory Dinosaurs of the World: A Complete Illustrated Guide. His work has appeared in Scientific American, Nature, the New York Times, and many other publications.