Canids of the World
Wolves, Wild Dogs, Foxes, Jackals, Coyotes, and Their Relatives
José R. Castelló
Foreword by Claudio Sillero-Zubiri
The most complete and user-friendly photographic field guide to the world’s canids
This stunningly illustrated and easy-to-use field guide covers every species of the world’s canids, from the Gray Wolf of North America to the dholes of Asia, from African jackals to the South American Bush Dog. It features more than 150 superb color plates depicting every kind of canid and detailed facing-page species accounts that describe key identification features, morphology, distribution, subspeciation, habitat, and conservation status in the wild. The book also includes distribution maps and tips on where to observe each species, making Canids of the World the most comprehensive and user-friendly guide to these intriguing and spectacular mammals.
- Covers every species and subspecies of canid
- Features more than 150 color plates with more than 600 photos from around the globe
- Depicts species in similar poses for quick and easy comparisons
- Describes key identification features, habitat, behavior, reproduction, and much more
- Draws on the latest taxonomic research
- Includes distribution maps and tips on where to observe each species
- The ideal field companion and a delight for armchair naturalists
José R. Castelló is a medical doctor, naturalist, and wildlife photographer. He is a member of the American Society of Mammalogists and the Spanish Society for Conservation and Study of Mammals. He is the author of Bovids of the World: Antelopes, Gazelles, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, and Relatives (Princeton).