“Dunne and Karlson’s beautiful and engaging book fills a need and will be much appreciated by the birding community.”—Dennis Paulson, author of Shorebirds of North America
A Comparative Approach to Identification
Pete Dunne and Kevin T. Karlson
A simpler and more user-friendly visual approach to gull identification
This unique photographic field guide to North America’s gulls provides a comparative approach to identification that concentrates on the size, structure, and basic plumage features of gulls—gone are the often-confusing array of plumage details found in traditional guides.
Featuring hundreds of color photos throughout, Gulls Simplified illustrates the variations of gull plumages for a variety of ages, giving readers strong visual reference points for each species. Extensive captions accompany the photos, which include comparative photo arrays, digitized photo arrays for each age group, and numerous images of each species—a wealth of visual information at your fingertips. This one-of-a-kind guide includes detailed species accounts and a distribution map for each gull.
An essential field companion for North American birders, Gulls Simplified reduces the confusion commonly associated with gull identification, offering a more user-friendly way of observing these marvelous birds.
- Provides a simpler approach to gull identification
- Features a wealth of color photos for easy comparison among species
- Includes detailed captions that explain identification criteria and aging, with direct visual reinforcement above the captions
- Combines plumage details with a focus on size, body shape, and structural features for easy identification in the field
- Highlights important field marks and physical features for each gull
Pete Dunne is Birding Ambassador at Large for New Jersey Audubon. His books include Hawks in Flight, Birds of Prey (with Kevin T. Karlson), and Pete Dunne’s Essential Field Guide Companion. Kevin T. Karlson is an accomplished birder, tour leader, and wildlife photographer. His books include the Peterson Reference Guide to Birding by Impression and The Shorebird Guide.