- Worldly Philosopher
The Odyssey of Albert O. Hirschman
- Hardcover201339.9530.00ISBN9780691155678760 pp.6 1/8 x 9 1/439 halftones.
- Paperback2014© 201324.9520.00ISBN9780691163499760 pp.6 1/8 x 9 1/439 halftones.
Worldly Philosopher chronicles the times and writings of Albert O. Hirschman, one of the twentieth century's most original and provocative thinkers. In this gripping biography, Jeremy Adelman tells the story of a man shaped by modern horrors and hopes, a worldly intellectual who fought for and wrote in defense of the values of tolerance and change. This is the first major account of Hirschman’s remarkable life, and a tale of the twentieth century as seen through the story of an astute and passionate observer. Adelman’s riveting narrative traces how Hirschman’s personal experiences shaped his unique intellectual perspective, and how his enduring legacy is one of hope, open-mindedness, and practical idealism.
Jeremy Adelman is the Walter Samuel Carpenter III Professor of Spanish Civilization and Culture and director of the Council for International Teaching and Research at Princeton University. His books include Worlds Together, Worlds Apart: A History of the World and Sovereignty and Revolution in the Iberian Atlantic (Princeton).
More about this book
- Winner of the 2014 Joseph J. Spengler Best Book Prize, History of Economics Society
- One of Bloomberg/Businessweek Best Books of 2013, selected by Ollie Rehn
- One of Financial Times (Alphachat)'s Econ Books of the Year for 2013
- One of The Guardian Best Books of 2013, chosen by Malcolm Gladwell
- Honorable Mention for the 2013 PROSE Award in Biography & Autobiography, Association of American Publishers
2nd Annual PUP in Europe Lecture
Other Books Written by this Author(s)
- Jeremy Adelman
Shopping Cart Options
For hardcover/paperback orders in United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, and Australia
For hardcover/paperback orders in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, India, and Pakistan
Princeton University Press
41 William Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA
- PUP Blog