- $16.95 / £12.99
- Published (US):
- May 10, 2022
- Published (UK):
- Jul 5, 2022
- 4.25 x 5.25 in.
- 2 b/w illus.
One of the most influential artists of his time and ours, Andy Warhol is nearly as renowned for what he said as for what he did. Indeed, he is so quotable that things he never said are endlessly and plausibly attributed to him, including, fittingly, the most celebrated fake Warhol saying—“In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.” Warhol-isms separates legend from fact to present a unique and comprehensive collection of authentic quotations from the Pop artist. Gathered from interviews and other primary sources, these deadpan, droll, ironic, and sincere gems—in which a superficial embrace of superficiality often disguises provocative, unconventional ideas—provide compelling insights into the life and work of an artist who has left an indelible mark on art and popular culture.
Select quotations from the book:
- I think an artist is anybody who does something well.
- I went to [a psychiatrist] once, and he never called me back.
- They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
- I’ve never met a person I couldn’t call a beauty.
- New things are always better than old things.
- I’m still a commercial artist. I was always a commercial artist.