- $29.95 / £25.00
- 5.5 x 8.5 in.
- 863 color photographs. 392 line illus. 12 tables. 348 maps.
Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West is the first fully illustrated field guide to all 348 species of dragonflies and damselflies in western North America. Dragonflies and damselflies are large, stunningly beautiful insects, as readily observable as birds and butterflies. This unique guide makes identifying them easy — its compact size and user-friendly design make it the only guide you need in the field. Every species is generously illustrated with full-color photographs and a distribution map, and structural features are illustrated where they aid in-hand identification. Detailed species accounts include information on size, distribution, flight season, similar species, habitat, and natural history. Dennis Paulson’s introduction provides an essential primer on the biology, natural history, and conservation of these important and fascinating insects, along with helpful tips on how to observe and photograph them.
Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West is the field guide naturalists, conservationists, and dragonfly enthusiasts have been waiting for.
- Covers all 348 western species in detail
- Features a wealth of color photographs
- Provides a color distribution map for every species
- Includes helpful identification tips
- Serves as an essential introduction to dragonflies and their natural history
Awards and Recognition
- Honorable Mention for the 2009 National Outdoor Book Award in Nature Guidebooks